Long Distance Service Providers
|Carrier / Web Site||Business Service||Residential Service|
|(800) 222-0400||(800) 222-0400|
|Global Crossing Communications 444||(800) 783-2020||(800) 482-4848|
|(800) 436-4444||(800) 444-3333|
|(800) 658-2150||(800) 658-2150|
|(888) 899-9900||(888) 877-4687|
|(800) 460-1111 or (800) 860-1020||(800) 860-2255|
|Southwest Texas Long Distance||(830) 683-1995||(830) 683-1995|
|your local long distance company||(800) 444-3333|
|Level 3 Communication||(877) 253-8353||(877) 253-8353|
Southwest Texas Communications
The following information should apply to most long-distance companies. You may reach Directory Assistance for a distant city by dialing: 1 + (Area Code) + 555-1212 or for your own area by dialing 1 + 411. Give the city or town, then the name and address (if applicable) you wish to call to the Directory Assistance Operator or recording. Write down the number for future reference. A charge for this service may apply depending on such factors as locations called to request directory assistance, number of calls made during the billing period, and other factors as set forth in the tariffs. Call the business office if further information is needed.
Evaluating a Long Distance Carrier
The following are some suggestions to consider when evaluating long distance service providers:
- What are the company’s rates and do they have special rate periods?
- Will the company charge for calls by the minute, portion of a minute, or blocks of time?
- Will the company begin charging for the call when the call is answered or when it starts ringing?
- Will the company allow you to make collect calls or credit call cards?
- Will you be able to make long distance calls away from your home or business and still use the company’s service?
- Will your long distance calls be billed on your monthly local service bill or will you receive a separate bill?
- What is the company’s reputation for service (talk to someone who has tried that company)?
- Will there be a monthly charge or a minimum charge?
- Will the company offer 24-hour-a-day service?
- Will you be able to make international calls?
- Will you need any special telephone equipment?
- Will you be able to call to and from anywhere or only to selected cities?
- Will you get credit for bad connections and how will they apply the credit?
- Will the company provide directory assistance, will you be charged for each call, and what is the rate?