Southwest Texas Telephone Company was founded as the Rocksprings Telephone Company by Street H. Gilmer in 1898. Mr. Gilmer and D. H. Comparette built a long distance telephone line from Kerrville to Rocksprings in 1898, establishing the first telephone service in the Rocksprings area. The company became the Rocksprings & Nueces Canyon Telephone Company in 1952 and Southwest Texas Telephone Company in 1983.
The company has prospered over the last century and now serves a large part of the rural Texas hill country, including the exchanges of Barksdale, Camp Wood, D’Hanis, Rocksprings, Utopia, and Vinegarroon. The Gilmer family continues to operate the company into its second century of providing communications services.